Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Things to do.

I don't know about you, but I can be a terrible procrastinator.
Though at the moment I feel I'm procrastinating because I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with the amount of things I need to do/get done.

We have a lot of baby things to sell on.
And whilst it's not a hard thing to do, it's a tedious thing to do, so I just keep putting it off.

Today I MUST get a custom piece finished and listed. So what am I doing here then?? you might ask. Procrastinating. Hey if I'm going to do something, might as well do it right!

The custom piece I'm working on is a flying owl - a piece like the one I recently posted here and sold - except it's with a different shaped stone.

I (thought I had) decided a while back that I wasn't going to accept custom work, as I find it stressful. And this piece has reiterated why I don't want to do them. Please do not get me wrong here, I am so very grateful for the chance to make something special for someone. But the stress it gives me takes away from my joy of creating. Those of you who make things with your hands will most likely relate to this at some time or another.

When I'm making something large and with much detail, it takes time. However, I can take as much time to do it as I want. There is no deadline. Hence no pressure and no stress (generally if all is going well). The minute there is a custom piece (more so when it is a replica of something previously sold) to do, the pressure is on. There is a deadline and there is also even more pressure to have it look just like the original. Then I become super critical of my work, my ability to even make the piece again starts to wane. Things will not 'flow' properly and mistakes are on the horizon. The pressure of getting it to look just like the original is even more deterring for me - as clearly the customer fell in love with the original and will most likely be expecting it to be almost identical. Really I should probably explain in my policies that this isn't always possible.... note to self ....

My other half says it helps me to push myself. I do agree, partially.
But on the other hand, it seems to push me away from my bench even more. 

Anyway, that is enough procrastination for now. I have to go to the bench and get the Owl finished as I've pretty much hit the deadline. Here's hoping there's 'flow' and no ebbs and I will post a picture of the finished piece once sent off.

Em ♥


5 comments:

DeborahRead.com said...

I so agree - if left to do and create no problem - make a custom piece or pieces I've already made because I need to stock up for a show - I can find I can organized my beads, wire, metal etc. and spend time going through magazines for inspiration
right now I like to blame the weather for my procrastination - but at some point even that is going to clear up
My mantra latley is focus focus focus - then I say nahhh and go organize something

Cinnamon Jewellery said...

Yes I am a great procrastinator at times! I always find having a tidy up/sort out of my work space or the house helps me to feel more in control and able to just get on with whatever I'm putting off.

Looking forward to seeing the owl, I'm sure it will be fabulous!!

littlecherryhill said...

Very true Deborah, organising can help you get the creative flow back. You've got lots of snow still? We don't experience that degree of coldness here, but the heat can be just as off putting.

Tracy, all is well that ends well (at least that's what I've heard lol) in my next post I will put a picture of the bird. I think it turned out a bit better than the original :)

nancycreations said...

Yes the pressure does arrive the minute you agree to a special creation for a person. It's like all your talent is put on the line and your self confidence goes off line completely hang in there it will come just jump in there and get it done so it will simply go away lol. It will be a sucess how can it be anything else but that. Youre a very talented artist never doubt that for a moment get er done lol.

littlecherryhill said...

Absolutely agree with you Nancy - it's funny how all confidence goes out the window when you most need to perform. Thank you so much for your kind words too. I finally got it done and it turned out great, so I'm happy and relieved :)