Monday, February 27, 2012

Almost Autumn

It's the 2nd last day of Summer here and I'll be glad to see the back of it. There has been lots of rain this Summer and lots of overcast days....today is one of those days, (though now I'm editing this post - the sun has come out). I am finally getting back to my bench, slowly but surely. 

I finally got a couple of little things made this weekend and I am doing the finishing touches on them today. I really haven't been dedicating the time to making, like I want to. Making new things always occupies every spare moment of my thoughts. I have finally taken to sketching down rough ideas of my thoughts lately. I can't draw to save my life, but, it's a good way of keeping those ideas safe and not forgotten. 

 
Above is the newest addition of colour to my work area. I splashed out and bought a 2012 calendar from Umberdove
It's gorgeous and so lovely to look at :)

Next on my agenda is to design and make a new bench for my work area. The one I have, has been awesome up until now. It used to be a massive medieval bed I had custom made when I was about 17 or 18 years old. It was chunky, dark, with a really high base like the beds from that era and it was 4 post with canopy and it had huge cast iron fleur de lys/studs wrapped around it. Well I got sick of it after a while and stupid head me asked my dad to hack it to bits and make a little bench out of it. (I still to this day do not know why I didn't take any pictures of it/or what happened to the left over wood) Yes - I do regret that decision, to hack it to bits. But I was young and didn't always think things through.

So it has served as an entertainment unit and then when I discovered smithing, it became my bench. It has served me well. Very well. But now I want something a little more well designed for the purpose. I decided against a proper jewellers bench. I am used to working with the kind of bench I have now and I don't think a proper jewellers bench will suit the way I work. 

Now I need a bench with more space, that is higher up and we're going to cut out a spot for my bench pin (like a real jewellers bench) and there are a few other things I want to custom make for my bench so it is exactly how I want it.

In the meantime, if I can find a bench already made or something similar that I can alter to suit, then that would be great too. I have been looking. But nothing much ever pops up around my local area :(

Well I have just finished up a few pieces and I will have to photograph them this afternoon and get them into my shop. I also have a couple of pieces to shorten chains on and then post out tomorrow. 

Thanks for dropping by :)
Em ♥

No comments: