Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A little Bit Cool.

the weather that is. Which is great!

Sitting at the computer having a nice hot cup of tea :)

Seems many other bloggers are a little bit on the quiet side at the moment. So thought I would write a post tonight. Hubby is in bed....little one is in bed. It's just me and the t.v I have on in the corner of the computer screen. That suits me just fine right now.

Well I have finished a couple of pieces this week, but will leave those for last.

First I thought I would share a little trick I use when making jewelry with cabochons:

As I keep all my stones in bags with the measurements on them etc, I can use this to my advantage when making bezel settings for them, I keep the stone in the bag and once the setting is made I can sit the stone (whilst still in the bag) on top of the setting and push it in ever so slightly to make sure that it's still going to fit right and I can go ahead with my piece....here is a picture for an example of what I mean:


This means I can easily pull it back out and don't have to fiddle with floss or any other 'tool' to remove the stone once fitted. As it's easily removed again.

I would only suggest this with quality bags, not thin easily ruined ones as you could end up with the stone stuck in the setting :( It hasn't happened to me yet, but I'm sure it will one day!

Oh and it looks like I have finally chosen a new look for my shop and business cards too. More on that when I have it all happening.

So here are my latest pieces:

A very large Labradorite Ring for me and a Green Sea Jasper & tinted concrete pendant.

That's all for now folks :)

4 comments:

Louise said...

great idea with the bag. I use dental floss in the same way!. Love the tinted concrete too. Contrasts beautifully with the stone.

Unknown said...

Awesome ring, Emma!! The labradorite looks like a forest scene to me, and such gorgeous flashes... I'd be keeping that one for myself too! The pendant is beautiful & you definitely have a knack for pairing colors. I know you'll be enjoying that cold weather... getting warm here today already, blech! :)

Amy Nicole said...

I really love how you are experimenting with different media, and that is an excellent tip about the baggies. I tried the dental floss thing, and it works, but I almost pulled it out and not the stone! Anyway, glad to hear the weather is cooling down, I know by the end of summer I can't wait for it to get cooler. We are just heading into the heat here. Right now it's still nice, not too hot yet. I have to be sure to have the girls take advantage of it and ride their bikes a lot. Pretty soon the only thing we'll be able to do outside is go swimming! Have a great day!

mywifesstudio said...

Thanks for sharing you ideas!