Tuesday, March 30, 2010

How Dumb? ...... Real Dumb!

Bah!

This is how dumb I am. Previously I posted about opening shop on 1st April.

I have about 6 rings to list.

But I have no clue what size they are! I have a round mandrel, but as I am not making proper ring bands (I make mine like the picture below) I can't get an accurate ring size on a round mandrel can I???

See.....I know you are all slapping hand to forehead! I am quite dumb. This is something I should have sorted before I even learned to make a ring. I have gone and complicated things. I posted in Starving Artists
about getting an accurate ring size and someone suggested using a flat sided ring mandrel.

Can any one help me out and confirm this? Or suggest a way to get an accurate ring size for the rings I have made already. I can't get a flat sided ring mandrel in Australia. So I will have to order from RioGrande....

I am so annoyed with myself. But I am not going to let this deter me from opening on Thursday. I have 3 pendants awaiting oxidation and another little pair of earrings and I have another 6 or so pieces that aren't rings. So I am going to go ahead and list these things, or I will NEVER get to it!

In the meantime any help/advice about ring sizing would be MUCH appreciated. If I were to use 2mm beaded wire and it sat at the size 8 line on my round mandrel, does that make it a size 8??? or do I have to factor in the fact that it's 2mm??


ARGGGGGGGGGH !!!!!!!!!

Shaking head at myself.

2 comments:

Amy Nicole said...

Well, unfortunately I think you are going to have to get your hands on a mandrel that has the flat spot. I don't know for certain, but I think that the size is measured (no matter how thick the band is) by where the bottom of the ring lines up. So a size 8 would sit with the bottom part of the shank lined up with the "8" line. You'll get it worked out! Good luck.

littlecherryhill said...

Oh Amy I feel like such a dork! lol...I am contemplating taking all my rings either to a Jeweler's and getting them to see if they can tell me the accurate sizes or selling them in my mum's store, where folks can try them on in person. This is what happens when you dive in head first like me and haven't been taught or tried to learn how to do it right!